Sunday 8 November 2009

And now for the fag ends


Thursday 05/11/2009

It's not a bad day so I can finish the yellow line painting and put the fag ends in.

So I do.

Being as it's a back alley by the studios where people come for a cigarette, not much happens.

Later in the studios I get carried away and write on it small at first and then bigger. It's taking a while, but I think I'm finally starting to loosen up with the words thing, although I guess they could still me more readable. To make up for the lack of action I am including 3 (yes 3! count them) photos of the same painting.




Also in the studios I go to the loo, because of course this is real life and that's what people do. In the movie of my life I think there will be lots of going to the loo - at least every other scene. And when anyone goes out someone will say, 'does anyone need the loo before we go?' and someone will and they'll go. And farting. In the movie of my life there will be lots of farting. Not necessarily always me.

Anyway, where was I? Going to the loo at the studios. So there I am, in the loo that I've been going in for 5 years, but this time it's different. This time there's a smell. Not a bad smell, but one of those smells that evokes a really strong memory and I'm six or seven years old again and I'm in the cloakroom at my Gran's house. It's a big downstairs loo and I'm lost in the mass of coats that hang on the wall. It's a little bit scary (still me as a 6/7 year old), but kind of comforting at the same time. I love it when that happens - transported by a smell.

Talking of being young, I was reminded the other day that I had never ever in my life eaten a toffee apple. It went straight on to the list of things I have to do before I die and so I ate one and hated it and can't think why anyone would do that to an apple.

2 comments:

  1. two words for you Cy and Twombley. Well i guess that's more than two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you recall the boots as well... lined up in a row,
    one brown pair
    one navy pair
    and
    one black pair
    waiting for the appropriate matching outfit
    and then in the summer months
    they would be replaced by
    shoes,
    in pairs...
    waiting

    god, how i love those memories of our granny...

    i could have told you not to do the toffee apple thing, apart from the horribleness of the taste, i think you were nuts. think of your teeth Ben... crikey you could have lost anyone of them at your age!!

    ReplyDelete